Ghost in the Shell live action

Your threat for Anime and Manga, some sources straight out of the land of the rising sun^^

Moderator: Oasisserene

Ghost in the Shell live action

Postby Zechiel » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:25 pm

As some of you know, Production IG has sold the rights for a live action movie of the Ghost in the shell franchise to Hollywood. Ofcourse, this can only mean utter PHAIL, even though the director for it will be Spielberg.

To me Ghost in the shell is sacred and I can't imagine anyone portraying the role of Motoko Kusenagi. HOWEVER there's some good news:

I was pleased to read that James Cameron has shared his new tech for directing 3d live action scenes in realtime, aswell as his self developed facial capture software, with fellow director Spielberg. (And some others, such as G. Lucas)

In Avatar the graphics are extraordinary, the facial animation is unparalleled! (especially if u see the lolPolar Express on the same day.)

So there's hope the tech will be on par to actually portay the GITS universe properly. But they will probably still fail on script and Kusanagi for the simple fact: Its Americanized

As a sidenote, Cameron's next project will be a Manga live action aswell: Battle Angel Alita

Dragoon 75 | Paladin 75 | Samurai 75 | Blue Mage 75 | Bard 75 | Monk 75
All nations, Promathia, Zilart, Aht-Urghan completed.
"Even if nothing is forever... a Dragoon I remain"
Zechiel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Crile » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:56 pm

PHAIL? Moar like AWESOMEPHAIL!
Crile
LS Leader
LS Leader

Postby blackseven » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:34 am

To a 2-D purist snob like me, all live action adaptation of anime are fail.

American live action adaptions of anime moreso. Guyver? Dragonball Evolution? *cringe*

And there's still the old rumor of a live action Evangelion.
Moryl - RDM/BLM/SCH/PUP
Remnants' Second String Mage!
"A Hero is some who can't show anyone the tears beneath her mask." - Katsura Hinagiku
blackseven
Core Member
Core Member

Postby Rasantath » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:45 pm

we can only hope that they dont fuck it up
if they pour as much money into it as they did into, say, Avatar, then it will be at least good looking.
and after that we can only hope that the acting is good and the story is unaltered.
Rasantath
Core Member
Core Member

Return to Anime