The Great Anime Debate

Your threat for Anime and Manga, some sources straight out of the land of the rising sun^^

Moderator: Oasisserene

The Great Anime Debate

Postby Stresa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:51 am

Some people think anything animted is automatically a cartoon.
Does it have to be series format ones, what about full length movies ?
Is anything animated a cartoon ? Are all cartoons for kids ?
What if a mature movie like Die Hard was rendered into an animated format, clearly that would not be a cartoon for kids.

Did you know in Japan (source missing) that over 60% of box office reciepts are for animated features ? (possibly 1996 Anime Year in Review Guide)

Just because something is anime doesnt mean it should be dismissed as for kids only just because it is animated. What really matters is the story behind it. I propose that pure cartoons are not only animated, but in simpler more primary colors and specifically targetted at the 4-8yr old audience.

And then some full length animated movie features are really good at amusing all audiences. Wallace n Gromit, Disney and Pixar films, Studio Ghibli such as Spirited Away can do a very good job entertaining an adult audience with humor that may be missed by the children, while they are amused by humor that is passed over by the adults. I saw W&G with a bunch of kids at the school where I work and man it had a ton of hidden sexual innuendos barely veiled and like straight out of James Bond it was kinda funny seeing that in a theater full of parents/kids.

Whether you call it cartoons or anime, a point is to understand who its for and is it meant to be generally or exclusively for an adult audience. Does it have blood gore language drugs or Simply mature themes or love loss anger understanding etc. sigh too much said already. Dp's cartoons are Taffey's anime hahaha lol
Stresa
Co-Leader
Co-Leader

Postby Rasantath » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:32 am

just because its animated doesnt make it for kids.
ever see akira? :) or ghost in the shell
Rasantath
Core Member
Core Member

Return to Anime