Santa Clara county bans toys in Happy Meals.

General talk not related to FFXI

Moderator: Oasisserene

Santa Clara county bans toys in Happy Meals.

Postby blackseven » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:54 am

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/28/MNLA1D5QFV.DTL

Look, I understand that fast food in general, and Mcdonald's in particular, is bad for you (and your kids), but this is just over the top nanny-state BS.
Moryl - RDM/BLM/SCH/PUP
Remnants' Second String Mage!
"A Hero is some who can't show anyone the tears beneath her mask." - Katsura Hinagiku
blackseven
Core Member
Core Member

Postby Rasantath » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:43 am

good intentions, bad implementation.
Rasantath
Core Member
Core Member

Postby Renges » Mon May 03, 2010 1:13 pm

lol mcdonalds will just come up with something else. The whole situation is really rediculous.
Renges
Core Member
Core Member

Postby Rasantath » Tue May 04, 2010 2:00 pm

they'll give you a coupon that you can mail in for a free toy.
that neatly sidesteps that dumb law...
Rasantath
Core Member
Core Member

Postby Vorinia » Wed May 05, 2010 4:20 am

IIRC wasn't California the first state to implement the no smoking in bars law? As well as the no drinking, no talking, and no enjoying yourself?

I agree that it seems like a good idea, but this just seems like yet another "news story" to get the city/state mentioned again. /cynic
Salvage Group Website *hug* (っ`3`)っ *hug*
Vorinia
LS Leader
LS Leader

Postby Crile » Wed May 05, 2010 11:44 pm

no smoking is a little bit different because it's like 800% more deadly
Crile
LS Leader
LS Leader

Postby Vorinia » Thu May 06, 2010 3:56 am

idk man, fat kids are dangerous too :P
Salvage Group Website *hug* (っ`3`)っ *hug*
Vorinia
LS Leader
LS Leader

Postby blackseven » Thu May 06, 2010 4:44 am

Vorinia wrote:IIRC wasn't California the first state to implement the no smoking in bars law? As well as the no drinking, no talking, and no enjoying yourself?

I agree that it seems like a good idea, but this just seems like yet another "news story" to get the city/state mentioned again. /cynic

I'm not sure if we were the "first", but we were an euthusiastic early adopter of that law.

I don't smoke, I hate the smell of smoke, I wish people would not smoke around me, but I still hated that law more. If a bar wants to be smoke free, more power to them. If they wanted to allow smoking, well, that's what I kind of expect from bars.

Santa Clara is a "progressive" county, so would lean more to the government social engineering Nanny State tendencies.

Honestly, I think this law is wrong. I, as a (theoretical) parent, should have the choice whether I want to get my child a Happy Meal with a toy included or not. I am prefectly capable of telling my kid "NO" when I decide I don't want to feed them a Happy Meal. People quote all sorts of BS about "pester factor" that advertisers supposedly use kids to manipulate parents' choices, but that's just an excuse for passive, permissive, indulgent parents. My parents were able to say no: why should I exepct differently of myself or anyone else?
Moryl - RDM/BLM/SCH/PUP
Remnants' Second String Mage!
"A Hero is some who can't show anyone the tears beneath her mask." - Katsura Hinagiku
blackseven
Core Member
Core Member

Return to Out of topic