how to piss off your ISP

General talk not related to FFXI

Moderator: Oasisserene

how to piss off your ISP

Postby Rasantath » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:49 am

http://ww2.elitetele.com/telecom-news/b ... -cow/13462

Meet David Humpage. His story is about the telecoms giant BT. A couple of years ago Mr Humpage noticed that BT was charging him £4.50 each time he paid his bills online – which, despite being extremely environmentally-unfriendly, is also quite cheeky.

After a couple of years of back and forth letters, BT admitted that the charge was coined together as an average for all non-direct-debit payments. Deciding to leave the company and turn to pastures new for his calls and lines Mr Humpage took a parting shot at BT. He sent them a cheque for his final payment, blown up on A3 cardboard.

Now, under the law, you can write a cheque on absolutely anything as long as it contains all of the relevant and correct information. Some people have even written cheques on cows (brings a whole new meaning to the word cash cow), although they’re never too pleased to be locked in the bank vault.

Not seeing the funny side, BT rang Mr Humpage numerous times and even sent a debt collection agency after him. However, Mr Humpage’s solicitor soon put a stop to that and told BT to cash the cheque, waving aside their claims that they couldn’t because it was ‘non-standard.’

Mr Humpage has since said to BT that he is happy to replace the cheque – although, there will be a £25 admin charge and its replacement will be plywood instead of cardboard. Happy weekend!

size comparison: A3 is about the same size as 2 pieces of letter sized paper side by side. (it is, in fact, the same size as 2 pieces of A4 side by side)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A_siz ... _legal.svg
Rasantath
Core Member
Core Member

Postby Oasisserene » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:34 am

lol

was a guy localy that waas so mad with his bank harrassing him about a loan he was paying (I forget all the details) that he filled a few wheel berrals with pennies in the amount of the loan and poored them in the lobby of the bank as his final payment. The bank tried to press charges to avoid counting it and accepting the payment, but of course the payment was legal due to it being currency. :lol:
Oasisserene
LS Leader
LS Leader

Postby blackseven » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:06 am

Is that... 4.5 pounds? That's an unreasonably high "service charge" for PAYING ONLINE. That would have me raging.

An A3 sized check seems relatively restrained to me.
Moryl - RDM/BLM/SCH/PUP
Remnants' Second String Mage!
"A Hero is some who can't show anyone the tears beneath her mask." - Katsura Hinagiku
blackseven
Core Member
Core Member

Postby Rasantath » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:18 am

blackseven wrote:Is that... 4.5 pounds? That's an unreasonably high "service charge" for PAYING ONLINE. That would have me raging.

An A3 sized check seems relatively restrained to me.

yep. a 4x8' sheet of plywood would definitely make a good upgrade.
Rasantath
Core Member
Core Member

Return to Out of topic